Wednesday, October 1, 2014

31 Days to a clutter free life

Earlier today I mentioned that I was going to be doing less in my weight loss challenge. I was going to simplify the month of October and focus only on moving for 20 minutes each day to make it into a habit. This is off shoot of another area in my life that I would like to simplify....our stuff!

http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/clutterfreelife/

I have decided to take part in the "31 Days to a Clutter Free Life" challenge over at "Living Well Spending Less."

I am doing this for several reasons. First, I am not sure what our future holds. We could be moving next summer. We could still be here in our town. Either my husband and/or I could have new jobs in the next year. As the kids are getting older their schedules are becoming busier. I think that having less stuff will be helpful for all those situations, because it would mean we would be moving less stuff if we have to move. We would have less things to clean and to clutter up the house if we are still here, which would give more time for activities, etc.

Secondly, I am currently overwhelmed with stuff. The kids have so much stuff.  I have a ton of stuff. Bill has a ton of stuff. Christmas and 2 birthdays are coming up (Jacob's in 2 weeks, Rebecca's in November) and if we can get rid of stuff now, we can be more grateful for the things that we are given. Out with the old, in with the new things they can use/wear.

Third, we are implementing a no spend month. I would like to counter that with selling some of the items that we no longer need/ want.

Today is Day 1 of the challenge. As part of the challenge we had to sign a ground rules paper....Which I did....I am all set to do this thing.


Are you doing any decluttering and/or simplifying? I can't wait to get started!

7 comments:

  1. I'm doing this challenge too. I won't blog about it every day but perhaps do a recap every week or so. Will see how things will go. Hopefully I'll be clutter free (or at least have much less clutter) by the end of October.

    Good luck to us!

    Ruth
    www.whimsical-truth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to hearing about your challenge! I love to declutter and simplify and do it anytime the 5 packrats I live with let me....I suppose the baby isn't a packrat. Yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just wait. I bet the baby will be the worst of all! :) You should have seen the look of horror on Bill's face when I told him about this challenge. I promised I would leave his man room in the basement alone, but everything else was fair game.

      Delete
  3. I loved the Fly Ladies 27 fling boogie where you went into a room and threw away 27 things. It really helps and it is fun! Try it. I think my junk drawer has 100 things to throw away! Also cleaning house is moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I followed FlyLady religiously after I had Rebecca. She helped me get through post partum depression as she gave me guidance on doing things for 15 minute at a time. I still implement some of her strategies, but the clutter around here has just gotten out of control.

      Delete
    2. Oh and cleaning house IS moving! Thanks for giving me a reason to tie it into my exercise challenge :)

      Delete